Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It Really Does All Catch Up To You


i wear 3 inch heels. everyday. including weekends. i own sneakers, Chacos and hiking boots. they are for the gym, camping and hiking. all my pants, including my jeans, are tailored to wear with my heels. my husband is constantly decrying my lack of "sensible shoes" and it's a hot topic in the office, since I'm usually trooping back from meetings across town or running up and down stairs in stilettos. i know everyone is just waiting for me to bust an ankle.
in April, I started having a weird foot issue. my right foot freezes up. and stays that way. sometimes for a few hours and sometimes for a few days. panicked that a doctor would tell me no more heels, i've put off seeing a podiatrist until this month. when my foot freezing episode lasted almost an entire week. as expected, the podiatrist told me no more heels until we find out what's wrong. no more heels until we find out what's wrong isn't really an option, so i made the following compromise:
I bought my first pair of "sensible shoes". from Naturalizer, no less. my sister in law thought it was hysterical that I was going to Naturalizer to buy shoes. i'm sure it sounded funny for several reasons. for one, that's where my grandmother buys her shoes, and for two, the last shoe conversation we had involved figuring out how to get a pair of hot pink Stuart Weitzmans past her husband.
so i bought the suede zip up ankle boots pictured above. they have a flex cushion sole and 2 inch made-for-walking wedge heels, they're practically orthopedic. the interesting thing is they aren't half bad looking and they are ridiculously comfortable. the concerning thing is I wouldn't have been caught dead in them when I was 20, which makes me think they are really ugly and I'm just getting old.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kerri said...

Hey Ro, saw your comments in Currier's blog and wanted to say hi. I can totally relate to the shoes, I have been wearing 3" heals for years and have spent two days a week for the past 6 months at the chiropractor trying to fix my back and sciatic nerve. Started off by trying to hide my shoes when I walked into his office, now I change them in the car

11/06/2006 7:27 AM  
Blogger TheKeans said...

Wait until you get pregnant... I am still trying to wear heels, but going up and down subway stairs in them is really not happening anymore. Now, I can't say I have succumbed to Naturalizer yet, but I am probably not far away :)

11/27/2006 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home