Monday, July 09, 2007

Hey Look What I Found!

I've made some great local discoveries recently - fantastic antique stores that are willing to call me when they come across things I'm looking for, a wholesale importer to interior designers that opens to the public a few days a month, and scoring some really huge Craigslist finds for the lakehouse.

Some of my recent favorites:

Antique dresser and sun burst mirror for the bedroom. The dresser is on the original casters, with tongue and groove joints and big, deep drawers. The handcarved detail on the front is also original to the dresser but the paint job and hardware are not, which means I got it at a great price and can someday strip the paint and replace the hardware. But I'm loving it just the way it is right now. I've been looking for a sunburst mirror at a good price for over 6 months. The fact that I found it around the same time as the dresser is divine intervention.

















Sheesham bookcase for the living room. Luckily PDW was not here when they delivered this bad boy because it took about 4 guys to get it downstairs. He hates moving with a passion so everything I bring into the house has potential for making his life hell and our move more difficult (and more expensive) at a later date. But there was only one in the store and it has beautiful moulding and a rosette detail on the front.














Console table. The console table isn't that exciting except I got it at a wholesale importer for a quarter of the original cost and it is a beautiful, well made piece. It also matches the bookcase exactly thus providing me a perfect excuse to sell all the dark wood furniture I inherited in my marraige to Paul.













Antique, hand forged, wrought iron fireplace screen. This thing is the real deal - it weighs a ton. Plus it sufficiently covers the awful gas fireplace, which may be a project for big G when my parents come out in August. The marble surround with the fake logs kills me everytime I look at it, but for now it's much improved.

















Dressers (and a mirror) for both downstairs lakehouse bedrooms. Perfect!

















PDW swears somewhere in all this rummaging there's a business opportunity ...

3 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/10/2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger Me said...

(I tried to leave a comment earlier but I think I did it wrong) Dude! Can you come to Seattle and find me some nice used stuff? All I ever find is old particle board crap :) Or you guys could come to Seattle just for a visit! But bring us some dunkin donuts... what's wrong with this town? Oh. Right! Starbucks. Anywho - you have an eye for design - your place looks awesome!

7/10/2007 5:17 PM  
Blogger Coleen said...

You are so helping me decorate my home when we move to America!

8/08/2007 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home