Sunday, April 08, 2007

Happy Eastah

We spent Easter on the farm in Oswego this year, and while I love my husbands family dearly, I was missing Easter at home. Even though I did make Paul take a 30 minute drive on Saturday afternoon to an Italian bakery on the South Side (who knew such a big city could be so severely lacking in Italian American culture?) to buy cannolis, I still missed a few of my favorite things about Easter at home:

Pizzagaina - in Boston you can buy this pre-made at any Italian bakery around Easter time. It costs about $80 but it's worth it if you don't want to spend your entire afternoon rolling out dough and cutting up pounds of capicola, prosciutto,and sopressato and mixing together a million eggs and different kind of cheeses. But my mom spends the entire day before Easter cooking anyway, so she usually churns out two or three of these bad boys.

Ricotta Pie - ok, admittedly you can get this year round at home and my mom even brought some mini's out over her last visit, but it's made special for Easter and if you go to the bakery at the right time you can get it warm. It's truly heaven on earth, which is only appropriate at Easter time.

Bread Basket Easter Cookie - These are big italian cookies with a colored egg in the middle and dough latticed over the top of the egg to make a "basket". Then it's frosted and sprinkled and ready to eat for breakfast. They look like shit but they taste damn good.

Italian Meatball and Escarole Soup (otherwise known as Italian wedding soup, otherwise known as the soup with the little meatballs in it): My mom doesn't make this but when I called my Uncle Bruno to wish him a Happy Easter, my aunt Shirley was making it. I asked her if she knew you could buy it in a can at the supermarket and she said "I don't shop in supermarkets and I've never eaten soup from a can in my life."

Sweatsuits: I've never worn a sweatsuit, although if my mother is any indication I'll be embracing that trend at around 50 yrs old, but there are a lot of people in my family who sure love them, especially on holidays.

Happy Eastah!: My family doesn't say Happy Easter. They say Happy Eastah!!! Usually whenever someone new walks into the house, which continues throughout the day. So you get to hear repeatedly and it truly never gets less funny.

Happy Eastah!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home