Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Wonders of Chalkboard Paint

Paul and I put a bench and some wall hooks in the back enrtyway so we can come in out out with Abby and not track dirt, mud and grass all over the new hardwoods. We needed something to cover, but not barricade, the utility box on the wall and decided a chalkboard would be the perfect camoflauge. When I was looking online for chalkboards I came across chalkboard paint and directions on how to make your own. I might be the last person on the planet to ever hear of chalboard paint, but this stuff is awesome. It took me 20 minutes at Home Depot and all of 15 minutes at home to make my own chalkboard and I was able to cut it to the exact size I needed. I hung it on one of the wall hooks with some pretty grosgrain ribbon and probably saved myself about 100 bucks in the process. I left mine unframed, but framing it with any number of things (wood, molding, ribbon) would have added about 15 minutes to the project.

Here's the before and after of the back entryway. Re-tiling the floors in slate is on the project list, but did not make the final cut for Q1 of project year '07.

Before:



















After:



















4 Comments:

Blogger Coleen said...

I love all the home improvements! Maybe you can help us decorate when we move back to America next year?!

1/16/2007 1:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We had made a chalkboard to cover our pump alarm in the basement by the bar - LOVE the chalkboard paint!

1/16/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We used chalkboard paint when we had to build a box to hide our pump alarm by the bar - it's great stuff!

1/16/2007 10:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did I leave the same comment twice? Sorry! Forgot to mention the magnetic paint! We will be using that in Stephen's room when we make Super Hero City on his wall.

1/16/2007 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home